My first Trail Run

Today, I completed my first trail run!

Due to weather and trail conditions, the event was relocated from Hunua Ranges to Duder Regional Park. Having never heard of the place, or run a trail run event before, I didn't really have any expectations for the run. That also meant that I didn't place any pressure on myself other than completing the trail.

The chances of beginning the trail let alone finishing it looked pretty slim this morning. Around 400 meters from our house, we managed to get a flat tyre. We put the spare on as quickly as possible, and were about to head off, only to find that we'd managed to get a flat battery too! I think we both considered giving up there and then, but the prospect of returning home was miserable.

We decided to give it a shot with the spare tyre, flagged down a random car for a jump start, and managed to make it to the run just as the first set of runners were heading out on their 13.8km run. (I'm so glad we did!)

The 6.4km trail (ran twice if you were doing the longer distance) was a mix of coastal and pastoral landscape. It actually reminded me a lot of home, Pembrokeshire maybe, or the Western coast of England. It was a pretty grey and muggy day, but the run out to the point and back offered some impressive views.

I won't deny that I found it pretty tough! This was the first event I've entered where I accepted walking up some hills was necessary. Having sprained my ankle three times in the past year, I found I didn't quite trust my body on the descents either. But as the route was pretty short, and the terrain was good underfoot, I think it was a great place for my first run.

The run has made me really motivated to build stamina, and to continue to develop consistency in my training. Running really is a big goal for me this year. My left ankle is pretty weak, and my right knee is doing some funky clicking, so I am aware I need to be careful. But I'm hoping this will be the first of many trail runs this year.

Post-run, we stopped at Cleveland Farmers' Market for second breakfast. I'd definitely like to spend my Sunday mornings doing this on a regular basis (minus flat tyre please).

Comments